Heads must roll on NHIP cover up

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, November 28, 2016 -The PDM is not surprised by the recent revelation on the state of finances of the National Insurance Board. We are offended by the comments attributed to the Cabinet in their Cabinet Minute as we find them to be insulting to our people and shows clearly that there is a disrespect for the intellect of our people and a serious case of negligence on the part of the Government.“I told the people of this country that something was wrong for years now with NHIP and the entire healthcare system” says Party Leader.  “When I sat in the Consultative Forum, I said something was wrong:  at the rate, with our population and with how much that had to be covered from the then 4%, NHIP would be financially challenged.   After being elected I called for a review of the contract and NHIP. I later brought a Private Member’s Motion for a full investigation and it was blocked by the Government so nothing happened. When a few amendments were recently made that will incur further costs, I called for a review of NHIP.  I told this country as recent as a few months ago that as Leader of the Opposition and Chair of the Public Accounts Committee I had not seen an Audit (not that they were not done but none was ever laid for the 6 years it was in existence).  The Minister of Finance in response to a parliamentary question that I asked inquiring as to when we might see an Audit of NHIP responded that it would come.  Here we are 6 years after its introduction and there has been no public scrutiny of the finances of NHIP and now we see why these audited accounts have not been released”.The Minister of Finance and a Minister of Health who is also Premier together with Cabinet is recorded as saying in a recent Cabinet Minute that “Cabinet expressed grave concern about the failure of NHIB Management to bring to the attention of Cabinet in a timely fashion the parlous state of its financial situation.”  The people of this country need to know how is it possible for this to be happening under the noses of the people elected to manage the purse and they not know?  The PDM is convinced and can not be otherwise convinced that the Government did not know all along the state of the Institution.The PDM finds it troubling that the Cabinet Minute said for the first time a report of this nature was prepared and presented. This is an indictment on this Government and this ought to have never been the case.  Healthcare is the largest expenditure in our country’s Budget and the Minister of Finance whose portfolio includes NHIP and the Premier as Minister of Health would wish for our people to believe that they did not know.  If they did not know, they did not care to know and was negligent and asleep on the job.“The management of a health system is a life or death issue and this Plan is a part of a major expenditure item that is bleeding this country. The people of this country must ask what is this critical funding towards and whether patient care is in jeopardy? What the people need to know who we owe and if $6.1m is critical, then are there other amounts that may be less critical but outstanding in payment? With the Cabinet only able to approve $2m where does that leave our patients and their care?” says Party Leader.  She continued, “Last year, I was reported in one of our local papers saying that there was a cover up and I remain steadfast in this stance. We now need to know what else is to be uncovered?”The PDM believes that both the Minister of Finance and the Minister of Health/the Premier has failed us as a people in many ways but this one is absolutely reckless and irresponsible and we find it more alarming that they are continuing to offer themselves as candidates in this upcoming election but so is the immediate past Chairman of the Board, Mr Mark Fulford who also had direct management of the Board and ought also to have known. These three gentlemen should be rejected at the Polls.Our Party Leader has consistently called for an investigation into healthcare generally and NHIB specifically and as recent as a few weeks ago.  Having brought a Motion which was successful in its passage, this Government has done nothing more than cover up the true picture and stifled the agreed Resolution passed for an investigation into healthcare.  We note that there is a call by the current Government now for an investigation by the end of January next year but we demand an investigation immediately.Our Party’s Leader has written to the Governor to this effect and we expect that the investigation will take priority given the amount of monies involved and the veil of secrecy as to its true state.  The Staff at NHIB must be congratulated for its stance as it seem to have yielded this important disclosure.The PDM believes that the Minister of Finance and the Premier should resign even before the Polling Day.  They cannot in good conscience think that they are serving our people well.We will address this issue head on and bring the much needed reform. We maintain, as we have always said, that the PNP has no moral authority to do so. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:last_img read more

Read More →

Lincicome wins Pure SilkBahamas LPGA Classic

first_img Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, February 3, 2018 – Nassau – Florida native Brittany Lincicome, 32, walked away with the Sixth Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic title on Sunday, January 28, 2018 at the world-famous Ocean Club Golf Course on Paradise Island.  It was Lincicome’s second victory in the $1.4 million Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic held January 25 to 28, 2018.  Despite a slow start in the opening round, Lincicome won outright, beating Wei-Ling Hsu by two strokes, and Amy Yang and world No. 1 Shanshan Feng by three.  The Ministry of Tourism is a major sponsor of the Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic, a women’s professional golf tournament in The Bahamas on the LPGA Tour that debuted in May 2013.Linicome is pictured with her portion of the financial winnings next to the Hon. Dionisio D’Aguilar, Minister of Tourism and Aviation.  In group photo, from left: Virginia Kelly, Ministry of Tourism and Aviation; the Hon Dionisio D’Aguilar, Minister of Tourism and Aviation; Brittany Lincicome; Travis Robinson, Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Tourism and Angelika Cartwright, Ministry of Tourism and Aviation.(BIS Photos/Kemuel Sturrup)Release: BIS Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Read More →

Sycuan Band of Kumeyaay Nation donates 250000 to Dehesa School Board

first_img June 13, 2018 Updated: 10:28 PM Posted: June 13, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsThe Dehesa School Board received a generous donation Wednesday from a Mission Indian tribe.A whopping $250,000 was donated to the school by the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation.This comes after the Dehesa School Board provided the tribe with facilities they needed, but lacked the funding for.So the tribe returned the favor.The tribe and district have partnered for decades on several different initiatives as most tribal members have attended the school. KUSI Newsroom, center_img Sycuan Band of Kumeyaay Nation donates $250,000 to Dehesa School Board KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Read More →

With Perfume on EVM Button TMC Workers Smell Voters Fingers to Crosscheck

first_imgNew Delhi: The battle between the BJP’s ‘kamal’ (lotus) and the TMC’s ghas phool (grass flowers) in Bengal’s electoral battle has entered a different sensory realm. With perfume on TMC’s EVM button, the party’s workers were standing at a ‘safe’ distance to ensure that votes were polled in their direction, said reports.The polls in Bengal have seen sporadic clashes, allegations of rigging and booth capture. In Birbhum district, two constituencies Bolpur and Birbhum are voting. As per a report published in Bengal daily Anandabazar Patrika, the TMC had found a novel method of voter intimidation. The report claimed that the local TMC leadership had sprayed ‘ittar’ (perfume) on the EVM button for the party. It quoted sources as saying that “if you vote for TMC, the smell stays on your finger”.It alleged that after casting their ballot, voters and their fingers would then be “scrutinised” by TMC workers who would be standing at a distance of about 200 meters. The report added that several such complaints had been registered by those “whose fingers didn’t smell of perfume”.“When a political party like the Trinamool knows that it has been rejected by voters, it resorts to every method known to subvert a free and fair poll,” said Shishir Bajoria, BJP leader and member of the party’s election management committee, while confirming the incident at Birbhum. A source in the party said, “Ye naya nahi hai. Purana khel hai (This isn’t new. This has happened before).”However, the ruling party has denied the allegations.Earlier, on her visit to Birbhum, Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee had asked her party’s district president Anubrata Mandal to be careful and, perhaps most importantly, “fight like a tiger”. The Election Commission, meanwhile, has kept the TMC leader under strict surveillance while the Lok Sabha seat goes to polls on Monday.Mandal is the president of Birbhum’s TMC unit and has been involved in a number of controversies. With him under lock and key and with no access to mobile phones, Birbhum saw clashes between the TMC and BJP supporters in Nanoor turning violent with nine people being injured. Birbhum’s BJP candidate Doodh Kumar Mondal is also reportedly under the EC scanner after he was seen using a mobile phone inside a booth.The TMC had won 87 percent of the gram panchayat seats uncontested in last year’s polls that were marred by violence. BJPLok Sabha elections 2019tmctrinamool congress First Published: April 29, 2019, 3:03 PM IST | Edited by: Ahona Senguptalast_img read more

Read More →

EC Sends Fresh Notice to Adityanath For Remark Comparing SP Candidate to

first_img 2019 lok sabha electionsAdityanathelection commissionuttar pradesh First Published: May 2, 2019, 9:18 PM IST New Delhi: The Election Commission of India on Thursday issued yet another notice to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Adityanath for violating the Model Code of Conduct. The firebrand BJP leader has been given 24 hours to explain his remarks in which he had described a Samajwadi party candidate as “Babur ki aulad” or “Babur’s child”.Adityanath made the comment at an election rally in UP’s Sambhal district on April 19. Referring to the SP candidate from Sambhal, Shafiq-ur-Rehman Burq, Adityanath had said, “What can be said about the SP… it fielded a candidate in Sambhal who claims to be the descendant of Babar, hesitates to garland the statue of Babasaheb, and does not recite the Vande Mataram.”Adityanath had made the comment immediately after resuming campaigning for the Lok Sabha elections upon his return from a 72-hour ban.The EC said Adityanath’s comment could “create mutual hatred or cause tension between different castes and communities” and along religious or linguistic lines. The poll body said that candidates should refrain from criticising other parties or workers “based on unverified allegations”.The EC said it had already earlier censured Adityanath for making communal speeches and had barred him for 72 hours from holding any public meetings, processions, rallies, roadshows and interviews. The poll panel had earlier issued him a showcause notice for his “communal” remarks, where he had Adityanath had compared the Lok Sabha elections to a contest between ‘Ali’, a revered figure in Islam, and Bajrang Bali, the Hindu god Hanuman. last_img read more

Read More →

Kejriwal Sisodia Get Poll Panels Notices After BJP Complains of Violations

first_img aaparvind kejriwaldilip pandeymanoj tiwari First Published: May 6, 2019, 10:53 PM IST New Delhi: The Delhi poll panel issued notices on Monday to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his deputy Manish Sisodia on two separate matters following complaints against them for violating the Model Code of Conduct.BJP’s Delhi unit chief Manoj Tiwari had complained to the Chief Electoral Officer, accusing Kejriwal of “intentionally insulting” his profession and the Poorvanchali community on Saturday. The CEO office had also received a complaint against Sisodia from BJP’s Girish Sachdeva, claiming the Aam Aadmi Party was issuing letters, asking voters to vote for the party by highlighting the achievements of the government, which was a violation of the poll code.Following the complaints, the Delhi poll panel issued the notices, seeking Kejriwal and Sisodia’s reply by Tuesday noon, officials said.An official of the poll body said they have asked Sisodia whether such letters have been issued.At a public meeting in support of AAP’s North East Delhi candidate Dilip Pandey last week, Kejriwal had said, “Manoj Tiwari dances really well. Pandey does not know how to dance. Pandey knows how to work. Vote for the person who works and not the one who is a dancer. The dancer won’t be of any use to you.”In the complaint, Tiwari, an actor-singer and also the BJP’s North East Delhi nominee, had said, “My profession is not immoral and illegal and that people of our country feel proud that being a professional, I am serving the masses and representing Poorvanchali people living in Delhi.” last_img read more

Read More →